Friday, July 3, 2009

Media observation 9, Movies vs. Television

After completing the 51 themes of fame in class, and recognizing a considerably lot more under the movie section, I started to think about why I would know more movie themes than i would television themes, and what I came up with is rather interesting. How I grew up had a lot to do with it. I do not remember having television until right after 9/11. My parents decided that TV was taking over their family life, so they quite it cold turkey while I was rather young. What I remember from television is what I got as a treat from Grandma's, Gummy Bears, The Smurfs, The Little Rascals at least I think that is what it is called, about the little babies and one of them is named Chuckie and has crazy orange hair and glasses, The Little Mermaid, Shamu, My Little Pony, Ducktales and a few more wholesome, good entertaining cartoons. Nevertheless, what we watched we did as movies.

Once we got TV, it was like digital overload, there was so much that we didn't know what to do. However, we quickly discovered just how dirty the television industry had gotten. We stuck to the Disney channel, History channel, Discovery channel on a every once and a while basis, and the only time we would initially plop ourselves in front of the TV is when Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis came on, that and the Olympics. Therefore, even though we had television we still stuck to our movies. However, it isn't just any kind of movie, they were the good and wholesome ones. My family is still rather young and so we had to make sure that what we were watching was OK if a 3 year old snuck in on us.

I believe that my family standards has very much taken toll in my life now. We do not have any sort of TV network. All we have are movies, and those we find hard to watch. We hit the movie theater every now and again, but to those movies we both agree on seeing. Not to anything that we do not think will demean us. I heard this in one of my classes last week, that people say that the movie was great except for this one little bad part. Well how would we like our brownies if they only had a little bit of cat poop in it?

Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment