Monday, July 13, 2009

Media observation 19 - Ethics

I was floored by the comment made in class today about the New York Times and the reporting of kidnappings. They were able to get the cooperation of other news corporations to not report of their kidnapped reporter, because they believe that it was for his safety. However, if someone were to confront the New York Times to not report on the whereabouts of their family member, they would just say that it was their job to do it. I don't understand the hypocrisy. Why, if they ask others to do it for them, when approached to do it themselves, blatantly exclaim - no!

In one of my other classes, I came to realize and question myself. When do I stop saying it's OK? When do I start to make a fuss and do something about what is going on. For instance, why is it that the minority always gets what they want? Why do our children have to go to school and be educated about families with two mommies? Why are they reading stories to our children where a prince falls in love with a prince and lives happily ever after? Why are we so concerned with making everybody happy? I wonder, does the media feel the same way? Or do they not? Do they make everyone feel good so that they will sell more? Or do they stick to their guns and do what they believe to be morally OK?

No comments:

Post a Comment