Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Media Observation 8, More of Today's News

I do not know why it bothers me so, but I wonder why we have to know so much about everything. It is great that the media provides so many opportunities for so many people, but it amazes me that stories about peoples lives can make other people money. I guess I am sort of a pessimist in this sort of category, but I wonder why we have to be so nosy. I honestly could care less about celebrities and their latest love life. I am not the biggest sports fan, I would much rather spend time, money and effort helping kids in my community get involved in sports, rather than going to some professional game. Now this might come hypocritical, but I am a succor for movies. However, I love them only when they are teaching something of value and worth, when the have a good moral, or when they just have a good story. Now that I have pretty much just torn down the legs from underneath of me, I want to say that if we are going to get into peoples lives, scrutinize them so severely so that the whole world knows what someones tiny flaw looks like underneath a magnifying glass, we should take a look at our own lives and what we would want. As a journalist, as a producer, as an announcer, would we want the news we are portraying and relating to thousands, to hundreds of thousands, to be displayed in that manner. If only we could get people to see that. Would they be so hasty to report all of that news?

No comments:

Post a Comment